Monday 25 April 2011

Tomatoes with personality


Mmmm, home grown tomatoes, mouth waters at the very thought.  I was brought up on backyard tomatoes and moving to Ireland meant a tastebud shock when I was reduced to eating supermarket pale imitations.  Now once again I have a chance to remember the taste of a real tomato... if only.

If only my tomatoes survive.

As you can see from the picture, the first squadron in my tomato army is thriving (and winning!).

I have no idea if two plants in one pot have any chance of survival in the end.  If you do, would you mind letting me know?

I have a funny feeling that a 20 cm high plant shouldn't start budding, as mine does.  As far as I remember, tomatoes are decent size plants, roughly waist high or so, and I'm really wondering whether its miniaturization is a good sign or not.

Another tomato observation is an ultimate proof of their high individuality (and sometimes I suspect a highly developed maliciousness).  I have planted few pots in the same time, two seeds to each.  Only two sprouted.  The first one, the one on the picture, has both seeds growing like crazy.  The second one has only one plant and it's one third of the size of its colleague.  Why???  It has more space, more nutrients etc.  It must be some tomato-ish mischief. 

I know that tomato growers are a big presence in the virtual world, so if you happen across this post, could you give me some tips on growing?  My garden is experimental, but it would be a shame not to taste the real tomatoes again due to a failed experiment. 

+++ DESSERT  - A HANDFUL OF TOMATO TRIVIA +++ (because I might be only an experimental gardener, but I'm really good in collecting tasty stories)

* It belongs to the nightshade family.  Just as potatoes.  And deadly nightshade (which is said to be an ingredient in medieval witches' flying concoction)

* Logically, it's poisonous.  At least the leaves are, so remember, tomato tea is a really bad idea. 

* Italians called it pomo d'oro, golden apple.  Similarly, in Polish it is still called pomidor, although the origins of the name would be lost to most Poles.

* It comes from South America, and travelled to Europe either with Cortes, or Christopher Columbus.

* It ranges in colour from pale yellow, through all shades of red, to deep purple.

* The largest tomato ever weighed 3.51 kg.  Imagine that!

* Bunol, in Spain, celebrates an annual tomato fight event known as La Tomatina.  In 2008 40000 people gathered to throw 115000 kg tomatoes at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment