Friday 15 April 2011

Grow your own... basil



Here's a short story how a smart idea can sometimes turn around and kick your own ass.

See the container above?   It once held for hyacinth pots.  Oh, how proud of myself I was when I came up with this fabulous plan to sow four different types of basil in it, each type in its own cell.

It would work fabulous, if only I didn't neglect marking which kind went to which square...

See this lonely plant in top right corner?  I would be more than happy to provide her with some company, only that I have no idea what basil it is and I don't want to mix them.  Oops. 

I guess I will have to wait until it's big enough, than simply pick a leaf and smell it.

Because oh yeah, my nose should be able to recognize it.  The four varieties I have growing are:

- Greek basil - tiny, tiny leaves
- Leafy basil - OK, just the ordinary one...
- Lemon basil - here's where the nose enters
- Cinnamon basil - and when I saw this written on a seed packet it swept me off my feet.  I so love cinnamon!  Hope it's not over-advertising and it really smells of cinnamon

Anyway, one more thing I can share about basil at this stage - they take eternity to grow.  (Or is it just me being crappy gardener???).  The plants you see are about 6 weeks old.  Goddamnit, by radish managed to get from seed to bulb in this time! 

Oh, and while we are speaking basil - I've just published this brand new article on what can you make pesto with.  Obviously, basil would be the first choice, but if you feel like experimenting, there's plenty ideas to get you started.  Please, please, please visit, it needs some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment