Monday 18 April 2011

The greatest plant killer...



...is WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me or not, it spreads destruction in the garden like nothing else.  It's an official number one on The Most Wanted Plant Killers list.  And it's all the more deadly for being so inconspicuous.

The scenario is simple.  Your tiny seeds have finally turned into tiny plants.  You think the deserve some nourishment for the effort.  You water them.  Completely forgetting that at this delicate stage a single drop of falling water is enough to break and kill them.

I must have lost tens of plants in this way.

Also, finding balance between enough and too much water proves pretty tricky.

I tend to overwater them.

Some plants, especially onions and thyme pay me back in a cruel way.

They sprout.  I'm jumping sky high.  They decide they don't really like it here and die. 
How can a gardener watch this and not be pissed off?

I swear, sometimes I think that plants have very sharp sense of humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment