Tuesday 26 April 2011

Probably the most cosmopolitan strawberries in the world



Ever wondered if it is possible to post a living plant over some thousand kilometres so that it survives?

Well, let me officially tell you - it is!

This bunch of wild strawberries maybe doesn't look like much at the moment, but believe me, there are tiny brand new shoots showing up in the middle of all the dry stuff.

They were dug out from their growing place in Poland, wrapped up in wet tissue paper and cling film plastic, then packed into a bubble envelope and posted to me here in Ireland with a standard postal service.

I have a funny suspition that this may not be exactly legal, but if you, dear reader, happen to be an off-duty officer of the Law, please don't prosecute me!  It's only few tiny plants and I swear I'm not going to let them go wild and take over the island...  Anyway, the social damage is minuscule, and if I get my wild strawberries this season, there will be one more happy citizen around.  Or two, perhaps, if I decide to share the bounty.

You know what's the best part?

AN EARTHWORM was accidentally dug up and posted, too.
It survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment