Friday 1 April 2011

Garden under the weather


I'm just discovering one aspect of gardening I wasn't aware of before.

What can weather do to your plants???

I live in Ireland, right at the oceanside.  This equals magnificent view from sitting room, but it also means terrible windstorms, pretty often, too.  Most of my plants live on the balcony, right out there in this terrible, terrible conditions... 

I literally wake up at night, listen to the howling wind and think - will my radishes survive???

You can guess the weather has been pretty rough here recently...

So far plants are doing well.  I have put all the pots inside a cardboard box, so it's a bit harder for the wind to scatter them around.  It gets wet, but it does the job.  So far none of my neighbours has been killed by a flower pot falling from above... 

Funny, I never suspected worrying about the weather will be a part of gardening, but somehow now it seems pretty obvious. 

Oh, and we don't get tornadoes (such as the one on today's picture) around here.  I just wanted to add some drama... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment