Tuesday 10 May 2011

Green growing


Is there a limit to what you can use as a planting pot? 

Behold my latest experiment - an egg carton full of growing radishes.  Looks allright, doesn't it?

It seems to be my tiny obsession these days, you know, turning contents of my rubbish bag into containers.  I even wrote a full size article about it - How to turn your garbage into a garden? - check it out if you have a second to spare.  You'll find many more funky ideas there.

But anyway, back to the egg carton.  So far it's working, but as I'm suffering from an attack of honesty, let me share some of my radish worries.  So -

THINGS YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR WHEN GROWING PLANTS IN AN EGG CONTAINER:

1.  The amount of soil per each plant is tiny.  Tiny, tiny, tiny.  I'm not so sure if it contains enough nutrients for the plant to grow full size.  But plants tend to have an amazing will to live, so fingers crossed, it may yet work.

2. It dries up fast as hell.  You need to be REALLY careful with your watering schedule, as omitting a single day may result in a dead plant. 


Apart from those, there seem to be no further obstacles to the project, but I'll keep you updated if something pops up.

No comments:

Post a Comment