Wednesday 11 May 2011

Bean surprise



I do love being surprised in this way.

See my tiny, lonely string bean plant above?

I seem to be jinxed when it comes to growing beans.  Funny, it's supposed to be an easiest plant in the world to grow, even schoolchildren can do it, FFS! I can't.  Or at least, have a misfortune after misfortune when I attempt to. 

I've sown six beans altogether, of which only a single plant sprouted.  After few weeks of indoor growing I moved it to the balcony, when it was promptly battered by stormy weather - it lost nearly half of its leaves, which were never particularly plentiful anyway.

After this first disaster it seemed to be doing all right-ish, growing very slowly, with leaves turning rather yellow, but growing.  It even developed few flowers.

I never really hoped that the flowers would turn into anything, it's a bit high for bees and I didn't bother to artificially fertilise few flowers on a single plant.  It got stormy again, so I stayed away from my balcony and pretty much forgot all about the bean plant.

I checked it after a few days and - surprise, surprise! - it had few pods developed and growing!

It looks like I'm going to have a superabundant harvest of five bean pods pretty soon.

Well, if I throw it into a soup, I may even be able to see it when I'm eating it!

OK, I know that five pods is pitiful, but tiny harvest is better than no harvest.  I might even try my luck and sow some more beans?

In an ex-raspberry bucket, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment