Tuesday 22 March 2011

Seedy story



Once you have something to grow in, you need something to grow from.
You need seeds.

In experimental garden, selection is pretty random.  In other words, I plant anything I can get hold of.  It adds spice to cooking, you never know what mixture you'll end up with. 

It will probably not look like an English garden, but I never meant it to. 

And (this makes me teeny tiny bit sad) some plants probably won't survive in this jungle.  Hell, survival of the fittest.  If they can live through my gardening, they will not fear even nuclear blast.

It also means that I don't need to be particularly choosy.  If anyone has some seeds to spare, I'm in the queue.

Birthdays (only your own, unfortunately) are wonderful sources of seeds for planting.  You never knew what to say when someone asks you 'What would you like to get?' - you know now.  Whether you prefer surprise mixture or a precisely planned list, it's up to you.  I went for the unknown.

If you're birthday is not bound to happen for another half a year or so, don't despair.  Gardening centres are painfully expensive, but at least you can choose exactly what you want.  You can also try hunting for online seed giveaways.  Hell, I may even do one on this blog once I polish it up!  I guess it takes some dedication - nothing came out of my hunt anyway - but anything's possible under the Sun.

If you have some spare seed - swap, swap, swap!  Most seed bags are pretty big if you think in windowsill gardening categories.  I just plant one thing to a pot, which leaves me with most of the package unused.  If any of your friends/neighbours/family shows any symptoms of garden fixation, it's time to attack them and compare resources.  If you have something they don't, and the other way round, you're settled and your collection's bigger. 

I still have some seeds left, so if you feel like swapping, here's one willing candidate!  Email me if you're interested.

See?  Told you it's easy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment