Monday 21 March 2011

Question of container



Ok, the decision is made, we start growing. 

Then you bump against a question - IN WHAT???

The easiest and most expensive answer is to spend an exciting afternoon in a gardening centre.  You'll be bound to come home swaying under the weight of professional, proper flower pots (and with much lighter wallet, too).  Those usually look nice, but I can't afford them and I'm completely not sorry.

I prefer to employ some imagination and use whatever I already have. 

As mentioned yesterday, garbage bin is a wonderful source of functional, original flower pots.  At the early stage of fixation, I developed some kind of pot-fever, looked at every single piece of rubbish as at a potential container and probably was overdoing it a bit.  More than a bit.  Now I'm almost recovered and I can share with you this list of 'potty' ideas: 

- plastic bottles - you know, coca-cola and the likes.  2 litre size works best for me.  Cut in half, make few holes in the bottom and that's it.  You have a brand new, cost free pot.  You're also recycling, and it's devilishly fashionable these days. 

- yoghurt pots - the bigger ones, anyway.  Principle is the same, pierce the bottom to allow water drainage, full stop.  You don't even have to cut anything. 

- milk cartons - to be honest, I haven't tried this one yet, because I'm running out of windowsill space anyway, but I have a feeling that it would work just fine.  If it holds liquid, it will hold moist soil too.

- builder's buckets - this one is for bigger plants, or for bigger batches of small ones.  You can buy them really (and I mean REALLY) cheap in DIY stores.  Also, paint buckets, or any-funny-building-stuff-that-comes-in-buckets containers work great.  Check with your neighbours whether they're not doing some decorating soon!  Just wash them well, some of those substances can be pretty vicious.

- cake boxes - as long as they are plastic.  I swear, I have a batch of strawberries growing happily in a box that once held carrot cake...

Basically, anything waterproof, roughly box-shaped will do.  If you're ambitious, you can beautify them with paintwork or some such.  I'm not, so I will leave details to your imagination.

Tip - trying to cut holes in plastic containers may be dangerous business.  Too easy for the blade to slip right onto your finger.  Warm the blade up in a candle flame and it will slice plastic like butter. 

Feel free to use your own imagination to come up with more ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment