Wednesday 23 March 2011

Other stuff


Imagine a checklist - what you need when you want to start growing some stuff.

It would probably look something like that:

- space
- container
- water
- soil
- seeds
- other bits and pieces

I have already shared my ideas for getting hold of some free containers and building up your seed store.  Now it's time to mention the rest.  All in one post, because at this stage of my gardening education I don't really have much to say :).

1. Soil
Easy one.  In spring, available literally everywhere (I've seen bags in shopping centres, DIY centres, at greengrocer's and probably in my local bookshop too - ok, I might've overdone it here.  But only slightly), in huge quantities and for next-to-nothing prices.  Too good an opportunity not to grab it - quality of this bought compost is usually decent enough so you don't need to worry too much about fertilisers for some time.  If you think otherwise, no big deal.  Get a shovel and dig it up.  As easy as that. 

2. Space
All depending on your circumstances.  Basically, plants need space and sun to grow.  So, a balcony, a windowsill, a next-to-the-window table.  I'm lucky enough to have a balcony, so as soon as my plants sprout leaves strong enough not to get broken by water droplets, out they go.  Works so far. 

3. Water
If you're a gardener of my type, you have it the hard way and need to water your plants yourself.  No rain on the windowsill!  And not that much on the balcony either.  I don't mind, I have one more reason to have a good look at my greens and get to know them better.  One thing I've learned the hard way so far:  your life-giving water can actually kill your plants.  If leaves are still teeny-tiny and delicate, a drop of water falling from above can crush them.  I've lost half of my rocket this way :(.  Remedy - learn to aim.  Pour your water directly on the soil, avoiding contact with plants.  Takes some precision, but at least your plants stay alive.

4.  All other bits and pieces
See, I'm still a beginner, so I'm probably not even aware how many things you need to make your garden grow.  I follow the simplicity rule, give them the very basics and hope for the best.  If any problems show up, I'll improvise.  I have a funny feeling that most of the stuff you supposedly need for your garden is needed only by sales people in order to stuff their pockets, not by you.  The rest is marketing rubbish.  I'm planning to learn what I can do without rather than what I need.  If you like this attitude - stay with me!  I will share my discoveries as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment