Sunday 27 March 2011

Raspberry bush enigma


Once the news of my new-found gardening passion spread around, an unusual gift came my way.  A raspberry bush!!! 

My first feelings were mixed.  It's fine to grow lettuce, ot even tomatoes, on your windowsill, but a raspberry bush??? 

Then I thought - and why the hell not?

I bought cheap builder's bucket and into the soil it went.


I followed my friend's idea to sow some flowers in the bucket as well, just to fill up the space.  So far no joy...  They don't show their green teeth yet.

But the raspberry thrives and is well, growing more leaves with every day.

I start thinking that this experiment is going to work and soon I'm going to enjoy home grown raspberries!  Can't wait.

Oh, if you were wondering what the 'thing' in the bottom right of the picture is...  Here's my special recipe for liquid feed:

1. Get a glass/plastic/metal container onto your balcony.

2.  Put something in it.  I have no idea what was originally in mine.  Looks like some organic matter now...

3.  Let the rain pour inside.

4.  Leave for a year or so.

You end up with murky, greenish substance, that I'm sure is full of nutrients.  I'm pouring it into the raspberry's bucket regularly and it grows like crazy.

Might be the secret ingredient???

P.S. I hate blogger.  I was going to post step-by-step pics of how my raspberry grows (I'm really bad, aren't I?), but they disappear as soon as I click publish.  Maybe at least one will get through...  It's how the plant looks now.

P.S. 2 No, it won't get through.  So no pics in today's post (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr).  Promise I will post the pics as soon as things go back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment