Friday 15 July 2011

Wild strawberries approaching!


Guess what? 

I'll be gorging on wild strawberries pretty soon!  I can't wait!

In case you don't remember (or have not been here before) - it's the same plant that travelled through half of Europe in an ordinary postal package, straight from my parents' garden to mine.  It looked rather sad right after the transit:


The brave strawberries regained life pretty soon, within a month or so being covered in fresh green leaves and sprouting first tentative flowers.



Now the plant has plenty of small, yellow-still fruits and I'm counting the days down to my first strawberries-and-cream of the summer.  Yeah! 

True, this will probably be very tiny dessert - I expect a spoonful or two after I've shared it with my other half - but IT WILL BE THERE.  And at present there is no chance whatsoever of buying wild strawberries on the Irish market.  It's simply not possible, at least as far as I know.

Well, I've had my share of gardening failures (sad story of a raspberry bush, anyone?), but wild strawberries are definitely a bright success. 

Another week or so... 

No comments:

Post a Comment